Integral study for the proposal of solutions and analysis of water quality and environmental impact of works destined to the sanitation of 80 km of the coastal edge of the Río de la Plata, which constitutes the main source of water supply for more than 10 million inhabitants of the city of Buenos Aires and its surroundings. Analysis of various alternative works aimed at reducing the pollution generated by the stormwater-sewage discharges to the river. Field measurements and studies in mathematical models. This Integral Sanitation Plan then led to what is now called the Riachuelo System, which includes the works of the Left Bank of the Riachuelo collector, North Coast Collector, Dock Sud Treatment Plant and Fluvial Outfall, currently under construction.
INTEGRAL SANITATION PLAN OF THE CITY OF BUENOS AIRES AND THE COASTAL STRIP OF THE RIO DE LA PLATA
The Río de la Plata is the receiver of the stormwater-sewage of the Federal Capital and areas of Greater Buenos Aires. The study area extended over the coastal strip of the Río de la Plata, from the Río Luján to Punta Lara in the vicinity of the city of La Plata, also including the main rivers, streams and conduits that discharge into the river, including the Riachuelo and the Reconquista River.
The Integral Sanitation Plan, foresaw the realization of a series of works to capture contaminated stormwater-sewage effluents for their dumping into the Río de la Plata, works currently under construction and / or study:
- Left Bank Interceptor of Riachuelo
- North Coast Interceptor
- Treatment Plants (Planta Capital and Planta Norte)
- Subfluvial outfall in the coastal area of Capital Federal
- Expansion of the current Berazategui outfall
The general objective of the study was to assess the impacts that could occur on the coastal zone of the Río de la Plata as a consequence of the construction of this series of works that together make up the so-called Integral Sanitation Plan. Technical evaluations of the component works and the proposal of alternatives are included.
The works carried out include:
Hydrometric measurements and water quality monitoring.
- Hydrometric measurements and water quality samplings for 4 years on the main conduits and streams that discharge stormwater-sewage effluents to the Río de la Plata and the Riachuelo, distributed in more than 80 km of coastline.
- Bathymetric surveys in the Río de la Plata.
- Sampling with more than 100 simultaneous points in the coastal zone of the Río de la Plata, during 8 campaigns.
Technical studies of the planned works and mathematical modeling.
- Technical assistance in the design of the works.
- Analysis of alternatives for locating the subfluvial outlet.
- Study of hydrological and tidal parameters, winds, waves, etc.
- Mathematical Hydrodynamic and Water Quality Modeling on the Coastal Strip; Reconquista and Luján Rivers. Stream and main discharges.
Assessments of the environmental impacts of the construction and operation of the works
- Evaluation of the impacts of the operation of the planned sanitation system on water quality conditions, taking into account the different current and desired uses
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) specific to the construction and operation of the Emissary